Infolinks In Text Ads

Sauteed Spinach for Lunch, My First Time

>> Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's funny, but today is my first time cooking spinach and I'm surprised how easy it was to make.

Earlier today, I went with my husband grocery shopping. After picking up a variety of fruits, I decided to buy some vegetables as well. Checking for some greens that I thought would be easy to cook, I grabbed 2 bags of fresh spinach. Honestly, I only knew how to eat raw spinach in my salads. I haven't tried it cooked yet, so I thought this would be the day.

When I got home, I checked online for some spinach recipes and found several variations. Realizing there's no strict guidelines on how to cook it, I decided to go with sauteeing.

First, I rinsed the spinach in cold water, then, grabbed a big skillet and melted 1 tablespoon of butter into it. The leaves goes next followed by seasoning about 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. I let the spinach wilt for little bit, then removed the pan from the stove and scooped the veggie onto my plate. So here's my lunch for today:


The dish after it's cooked looked and tasted exactly like the Philippine vegetable "kangkong", also known as swamp cabbage or water spinach, except that you cook the latter with stems intact.

Spinach is loaded with valuable nutrients and antioxidants. It is a rich source of vitamins A, B2, B6, C, E, & K. The vegetable is also a rich source of magnesium, manganese, folate, betaine, iron, calcium, potassium, folic acid, protein, phosphorus, niacin, selenium, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc.

Thinking about all the benefits I get from eating this healthy veggie, I vowed to include spinach in my diet on a regular basis.

3 comments:

Riza February 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

I love cooked spinach! For me mora ra sya ug alugbati sa atoa, but mostly I heard from Filipinos comparing it to kangkong. Lami pod na sya isagol sa monggos Mi. Evie loves it!

sollwriterr February 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

Oo Riz mura sad bitaw taste sa alugbati. Ganahan ko sa iyang taste. Next time soy sauce akong itimpla instead sa asin.

Riza February 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM  

Yup, very rich with good stuff for the body! Soy sauce would be great for seasoning :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Triond Articles

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP