Infolinks In Text Ads

Missing the Bayanihan Spirit

>> Sunday, January 2, 2011


The lack of sleep is wearing me out. For days since Christmas, I didn’t have enough rest and sleep. The demands of taking care of the family and finding time for myself seem very hard to juggle. How I wish I am living with my family in Cebu! I know I will always have help 24/7. With a big family there and lots of hands to offer help, I’ll be greatly relieved!

Three years living in America with only my husband to share in the household duties, life is always hectic. The thing that really frustrates me is that no other person is there to assist. I miss the Filipino way of life where everyone in your family—even your neighbors—are willing to be there for you. I remember a cousin who was about to give birth (most women in the Philippines go through home birth) and everyone in the neighborhood came to her house to help out in any way. One boiled water to be used during birth and delivery, some tidied up the place, another one cooked something to eat, while others were simply there to cheer her up. Everyone is involved and share in the experience. What a wonderful example of the bayanihan spirit! It’s that unique Filipino quality that is simply admirable and which I miss so much.

Before I decided to live in the US, I’ve read about the typical life in this country. I thought I have understood everything until I actually experienced it. Here, I have to be independent, self-reliant, and productive. It’s good in a way but sometimes it can be very exhausting. And it can be lonely sometimes, too. It’s a relief to have other people help out when I feel too tired to do something. Let somebody do the cooking or the laundry or babysitting, while I relax without worrying about those things. Ah, it’s true that you won’t realize the value of something until you actually miss it. I just feel it today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Triond Articles

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP